Sunday, November 2, 2008

Feeling humble.

We had stake conference today along with all the other stakes in Arizona. It was a broadcast from SLC. Some Seventies spoke and Pres. Packer was the last. They all spoke about Arizona and the history of the early pioneers organizing the church here. Each of them had personal experiences in this state that had given them a love for the desert. They spoke a lot about Pres. Kimball and how his upbringing down here gave him the leadership skills he needed to eventually become one of our prophets. You know how it always makes you feel good when your home or stakes or some leader you know is mentioned by the general presidency? Almost like you have your pom poms and want to cheer, "Go Arizona!" That's how it felt to hear these great men talk about the love for the gospel and what a great place this is. We were all sitting a little taller.

Even though I was not raised here, nor went to school here, I feel a love for this barren state. It is so opposite of where I'm from and you would think it would never take root in me to love the desert. But I do. Where others see dry sand and clay, I now see great expanses of earth. Where others see cactus and odd plants, I now see the beautiful flowers and unique fauna that characterizes the valley. Where other see stark mountains, I now see the beautiful sunrises that start behind those rises. I've not yet lived in a place where the church is so strong, where generations of families have built homesteads and given the gospel such a sure foundation in one place. The Mesa temple is so different to me, yet now so familiar. And within the next 2 years, we've been blessed to have 3 more built.....one within our stake boundaries. I'll be able to see the spires from my bedroom window. How blessed are we?

I know I take for granted how many blessings I have and how fortunate I am to being living in this time. It's a hard time, with hard decisions to make and daily struggles to wade through. I constantly worry about my children and what they face on a daily basis. I worry about our family's well being and making sure we are prepared for crisis's to happen. I worry about my own progression and question if I'm doing the right things and try to do better with what I've been taught.

But I have to take time to show my gratitude and bask in the gifts that have been given to me. To take advantage of what is here at my fingertips: my family, prayer, scriptures, good friends, strong leaders, serving my fellow men and doing all that is asked of me. So amid all my daily trails and responsibilities, I have to remember to show my thanks. And recognize all those little gifts in my life.

5 comments:

Kendra said...

Great post Jody.

Thanks.

Andy

fowkes5 said...

I'm so jealous Jody!!! I miss AZ terribly! I grew up there and really learned to love my home. My great-grandmother knew Pres. Kimball and we have letters that he wrote her. I love that we had a Pres. from AZ. It's bragging rights!! Anyways, thanks for reminding me how much I miss AZ and it's beauty!

Rogers said...

Wow, I am suprised to hear how much you like Arizona. I never would have guessed. It is so good to have a place you call home. I enjoyed reading your post today it made me stop and take some time to count my blessings.

Jill said...

What a beautiful post Jody! Thank you for your words! I love your thoughts!

Love, Jill

Rachel said...

Beautiful post, you are blessed to be so close to a temple!