Some of you already know this, but out of all holidays Halloween is the lowest in my book. Yeah, I know.....a lot of you are booing me right now, but sorry. I dread Halloween. Maybe it started when I had 2 children within a week of this holiday. Try planning birthdays.....you know, finding spare days for parties, gift shopping amid all the orange and black stuff at the stores, worrying about what cakes to make when all your kids have been eating candy for a month solid, etc. Or maybe it started when I was born with NO creative talents whatsoever (including sewing). Or maybe it started when I married a man who considers Halloween decorations (lights, severed heads, scary-sounds CD, glow-in-the-dark skeletons, artistic pumpkin carvings) something to start getting ready months before October. I don't know. All I do know is that there's a whole lotta preparation involved for absolutely NOTHING!
So just to solidify my opinions, we had our ward's trunk or treat almost a WEEK before Halloween. Oh joy. (Can you say sugar high?) Then starts the, "Mom, I want to be (blank) for Halloween this year!" Obviously a costume we don't already have in our storage boxes, so we drag ourselves out to the constantly-busy party store to find a poorly made costume that costs the same as a date night. You then have to pray that Halloween falls on a weekend, so you don't have to deal with sugar-hyper, grumpy kids the next morning while you're dragging them out of bed for school. How's about all the donations the classes need at school for the "fall" (can't say Halloween) parties? When is old enough to go out in the neighborhood with friends and no parents and pray they get home in one piece? And who passes out candy by themselves at home, while the other walks miles to watch kids gather candy and visit with other tired parents? What does everyone feed their kids on Halloween evening? Do you feed them at all or just let M&Ms and Skittles be dinner? What does everyone do with tons of candy and how do you divvy it out? (I swear, if I look at another Butterfinger bar, I'll puke) Isn't it fun to wake up in the morning to your toddlers, with chocolate faces and fingers, on top of the counters getting their candy buckets from the fridge? Such nutritional breakfasts.
Hey, call me a party pooper.......I don't care. There's many other fun and exciting holidays and events throughout the year where kids can dress up, play outside at night, have parties and eat that if we did away with Halloween, no one would suffer. And to eliminate all the candy? What mother would complain about that?
I'm counting down the minutes until I can bathe children, remove makeup and colored hair spray and get them to bed without any candy clutched in their fists, put away costumes, take down the giant spiderweb in our front window along with the lights and gross things, recycle those rotting pumpkins and get everyone really excited for some REAL holidays!
(what kind of pie is everyone having for Thanksgiving?)

3 comments:
Don't save pie just for thanksgiving, eat it all month long...it will help stave off anti-halloween ness!. My favs are applecranberry & pumpkin cheesecake! PS I Love the picture you posted on your sidebar, your family is so cute!
I totally agree with you. I too HATE Halloween! We didn't even know this year what everyone was being until today. Then I made them choose from things we already had. What a mean mom I am! Now comes the fun part of putting them all to bed after eating so much candy! I can't wait until tomorrow.
halloween has ALWAYS been my favorite but i'm not at all offended that it's not yours because i TOTALLY understand your reasons. one of the things that we do here because of the trunk or treat AND trick or treating is call the candy fairy. we choose how many pieces of candy we think the kids should have so they can pick out their favorites. that night (whatever night we choose) the candy fary come and takes ALL of the candy and leaves a cheep gift in it's place. my kids love this. some dentists are are giving 2 dollars a lb. for candy and then sending it to the troops so the candy fary usually gets rid of it that way. just something to think about.
and i'm gonna have to say that my home made apple pie is what i will eat but i think i'll have my mom make it for me this year since i'll have a brand new baby and probably won't feel like slaving away in the kitchen.
Post a Comment