"Hello (insert name), my name is Jody Rogers and I'm working as a volunteer on behalf of YESformarriage.com that addresses the marriage amendment here in Arizona. We're just asking all voters to vote yes on Proposition 102 to keep marriage secure between 1 man and 1 woman, clear and simple. Can we count on your vote?"
That was my little speech I used last night at a Mesa Call Center. Our stake has been asked to help with spreading the word about prop 102 here in Arizona. We had about 15 volunteers from our ward and another 5 or 6 from another who all met to work for 3 hours on the phones. We had around 25 pages of names; citizens who had previously said their vote was yes on 102. We had these little scan tron sheets for each citizen where we'd fill in the bubbles: yes, no, voted, undecided, not home, left message and no further contact. Out of about 24 sheets of names, I only had 3 no's. I was pleasantly surprised. The majority of them agreed that we need to vote yes on this proposition and were very open and friendly about it. I left a lot of messages, but it was nice to talk to others who agree about the sacred nature of marriage and want to join together to protect it in our constitution.
We did have some interesting calls. My friend got an answer when her person picked up the phone with, "Hello, corporate bailout?" She said, "Ummm, excuse me?". He said, "Corporate bailout, can I help you?" She said, "Well, OK....could we get a check for 7 million bucks?" They were both laughing, where then he agreed to vote yes on 102 but said he didn't know if he had that much to donate! :o) We had people who were very adamant, that said "Yes! with a capital Y, capital E and capital S!" You love talking to people like that. But then you had some negative answers, too. One man actually accused me of being intrusive, rude and impolite. He asked why we asked such personal questions like did they vote? (which was not part of my speech) I told him we were just trying to spread the word. He then said, "Well, I can read you %,&@^??!! He hung up after swearing at me and it was a little scary. Luckily, we didn't have that many rude people, thank goodness.
It felt good to help out with the upcoming elections and sharing with others why we think marriage is so sacred. You find yourself in good missionary moments and it strengthens your testimony tenfold. Plus, I really feel like some of the people I talked to really understand why this proposition is so important. And even though we may not share the same religious beliefs, I feel that I can be a good example for things I know are true. It was a fun experience, too. My friends and I want to do this more often and goodness knows, they need all the volunteers they can get.
but remember,
Friday, October 10, 2008
Prop 102
YES on prop 102 !!!!!
Posted by Jody at 10:06 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment