Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Update on Cassie:

Well, we had another scare this morning. She was scheduled for surgery first thing this morning but right before, they checked her vitals and her blood levels were dangerously low. It was very odd because I guess they had just checked them late the night before and she was fine. But apparently when an animal is given so much IV fluids, it takes time for a very dehydrated body to absorb it all. When it did, I guess her system was so flooded with other liquids, it "watered down" her blood. So they said she desperately needed a blood transfusion. They could still operate without one, but it made it even more risky. So I rushed to the hospital, spoke with the vet and decided to go through with the transfusion. I'm so grateful for a father-in-law who is so willing to help us keep our dog alive. They performed the surgery and it went well. She's resting comfortably, her temp. is up to 100.9 (normal range) and she just finished with the transfusion about an hour ago. So we're hopeful, at the same time prepared for anything to happen. She's going to be 7 years old in April and boxers life span is 8-10 years. So who knows what the future will hold? But we're comforted knowing she's in the Lord's hands and whatever happens happens.

It's been an insane day (to say the least!) To top off an astronomical vet bill, my car died on the way to the gym this morning (yeah, it's so fun waiting in a cold, dark car for your husband to come tow you at 5:30 in the morning) and Riley got her braces on today (which there goes the grocery bill for the next two months.....and that's just the down payment). So I've been trying to stave off a lingering headache all day, on top of driving my husband's little car which the kids hate, on top of dealing with a child that has a very sore mouth and trying to find things she can eat without chewing and then trying my best to stay positive and not stare at big dogs. It sucks, I'm tired and I'm sad.

Keep praying, send her your good thoughts and I'll update more later.

1 comments:

Beth said...

I love the new look of your blog!!! It's so pretty. I'm glad your dog is doing better. Good luck with everything.