Well, after a long, hard week of uncertainty, stress & sadness, our sweet puppy died yesterday afternoon. It was a complete shock to us and to the doctors. She was doing so well on Thursday, walking, eating, drinking, sleeping. Even the vet said they let her come home because of how good her recovery was going. But after Will left for work yesterday morning, she seemed very lethargic & slow. Will and I spoke throughout the day and just attributed it to the heavy pain meds she was on and her just being tired. But after feeling her cold ears & nose, trying to keep her warmer, her lack of activity and just not acting like herself, I checked her around 4pm and she was very still. My heart just about stopped when I realized she had no pulse. But sadly enough, even though I knew she was gone & really felt like she looked like herself for the first time in so long. Relaxed, peaceful, at ease........ For some reason, I had felt in the back of my mind that she wasn't really "here" after she got sick. She had a spirit about her that seemed like the end was near. And after all of this I feel more at peace knowing she's pain free, healthy and in a place where she's getting all the love and attention every dog deserves.
Telling the kids was torture. But they handled it better than I thought. And in the last 24 hours we've grown closer as a family, the kids have learned to depend on each other and they know that we'll see her again. Our home is filled with love for each other, for our place in this world and for the knowledge we have of the eternal scheme of things. There's still many tears, but we know that it does get easier.
We gathered together last night and let the kids share their best memories of Cassie. We smiled and even laughed a bit. It was good. We decided to bury her in our back yard and we bought a rose bush to plant at her grave site. We got a red rose bush that signifies love and a yellow one that signifies friendship. We've been doing yard work and staying busy, which is the best thing. Thank you all for your kind comments and sweet prayers for our dog's health. It was felt very much and we're so grateful for loving friends and family.
Saturday, March 8, 2008
A final update on Cassie
Posted by Jody at 12:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm so sorry to hear about Cassie! It's hard to loose a pet that you are so close to. I'm glad that your kids are being so strong. It's devastating when you're so little to loose a pet. We love you guys! Atleast you still have Tigger! Hopefully that will help to be able to have her and play with her.
I'm so sorry Jody. I'm sure she is in a better place and not suffering anymore. I'm not looking forward to losing Simon some day. Good luck.
Heartbreaking. I'm so sorry!
The best thing is you all came together as family..I'm sorry about your dog :(
I came home and told Tim after you told me at the gym...He already knew, I guess I need to read your blog to stay caught up on things...
Post a Comment