Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Now THIS is hot!!

As I'm sitting here, feeling the slight stinging under my shirt, I need to remember when going to the pool, I need some extra hands to help me put sunscreen on my back! We went to our favorite public pool this morning to cool off and to whittle away our long summer. The kids loved it of course, we ate lunch there (big points for those places where we can bring food!) and they wore themselves out which means........all those moms out there know this.......tired kids and easy bedtimes tonight! Woohoo!!

But days like this remind me that this is the time of the year to be careful and take lots of precautions. The high temp. index today is '112 to '118!!!!!! And the next five days the highs will be no less than '110. They actually tell you to watch your plants and cover them during the hottest parts of the day. Kind of like freeze warnings in the winter. I knew it when we got to the pool (around 10:15) it was going to be a scorcher. But when we were getting ready to leave, it felt hotter. I know it's hot when I'm still wet and it feels hotter than when I was dry. Honestly, I feel sometimes I have to be better at watching my kids, remembering sunscreen nonstop and encouraging my them to cover up (hats) and stay out of the sun. Yeah right, try keeping your kids inside during summer vacation. :o) And I know I need to be better at protecting myself.......the tans aren't worth it anymore.

Another high point of my day......the power went out an hour ago for about 20 minutes. It's kinda scary how much your house can heat up with no AC and no ceiling fans on. We stayed outside (in the shade) until the power came back. It's easier to go into a semi-cool house when you've been outside for awhile. Makes the '80 degree house seem cooler and more tolerable during the wait. I can't even imagine how much power it takes to keep the entire valley (around 2-3 million people) cool and comfortable for half the year. It all comes around to how thankful I am for the simple things I have.....a comfortable house, an employed husband, our health and good family and friends. But all of you, where ever you are, if it's '95 or below......I'm jealous!

0 comments: