Tuesday, June 5, 2007

How do those kids survive the heat?

It always astonishes people, especially my mom, how my kids or any kids living down here can stand being outside with the weather being as it is. Yes, it's hot. Yes, the pavement can burn the bare feet. Yes, my kids drink more water than other kids in a day. But when you're born and raised here, you really have no choice. I kind of compare in to Eskimo kids in Alaska...I'm sure they go out in temperatures that are way below human comfort. But when it's all you've ever known, you don't know any other way. My kids really don't know or like putting socks with shoes on. They think it's funny when they see kids with raincoats or boots on; when it rains, they go out and play in it! Sunscreen is as daily to them as toothpaste. They've never had a Christmas without sunshine. And like I just pointed out to my sister-in-law, they probably have more pairs of sandals and flip flops than the average kid.
Well, here is a fine example of how to acclimate yourself to the Arizona heat. I think Noah was destined to live in a hot climate because he gets cold very easily. Granted, the child has very little meat on him, which doesn't help matters. But no matter how hot it is outside, whenever he swims, he has to take breaks to warm up (usually when his lips start to get blue.....). He was swimming one day and he took one of his "warming" breaks on the back patio. He was pretty quiet for a while.......when I went to check him, this is what I found. He was like that for a good hour. :o)



1 comments:

Dave & Chels said...

What a good-looking kid! That is amazing, really. He is an Arizona kid, for sure.