
We decided this year, after much thought and prayer, to move our kids to a new school. It was a hard decision. We were going to start our 3rd year in the newest school in the district, a district my children have attended for the past 6 years. I had much involvement in school with being a PTO Board Member, classroom volunteer, stalwart district participant and helping out with many other school-related activities. I was a huge supporter of the district, always encouraging everyone to strengthen our communities and build good relationships with our schools. But at the beginning of this year, we were all informed about a new charter school opening. It seemed to be the ideal school for what our neighborhoods were looking for: community involvement, a good, moral curriculum and a focus on patriotism and individual responsibility. Although there were many bumps in the road of getting this school into full production (and many things still being worked on) it's been one of the best decisions I've ever made for my kids. They are currently in the process of getting things finalized for a new building to be constructed. It will be on the same intersection as the the new Gilbert Temple. The front of the school, in fact, will be facing the temple! But I love the dedication of the teachers and administration. I love the regular communication with the school. And I love that my kids are really learning. Riley, my honor roll 7th grader, told me a few weeks ago, "Mom, I finally understand English. I've never had a teacher really show me what it is, but now I see." Gabriel, my 1st grader, out of the blue started singing "The Star Spangled Banner" the other day! He didn't get every word right, but NONE of my other kids have ever heard that song at school, let alone learning the words. I was so proud! :)
Most of all, I'm really enjoying getting to know the teachers. Our family was out of town when "Meet The Teacher" night happened, so we all went in early to meet and visit with each teacher. They all impressed me and the kids felt very comfortable. I really have gotten to know Noah's teacher, with helping out in the classroom and she being the volleyball coach for my girls. She's a great woman.
Well, our fall break has started with the last day being Friday. All of the kids have planners that they use as an organizational tool, to write down what they do in each subject every day. Parents are asked to review each day and sign it. On Friday when the kids got home I asked for all their planners to sign them so I wouldn't forget over the break. On Noah's page in the teacher comment box, he had written: "Mrs. Fletcher loves me." It brought tears to my eyes. None of my children's teachers have ever expressed their love for them. I so appreciate that they can share with us how much they love what they do and how much they care about their students. I know these students feel this and that makes them want to be the best they can be. My kids are real people now, not just a number on a classroom roll. Mrs. Fletcher also sent an email out the same day, just to tell us to have a good vacation, ".....and remind your kids how much I love them."
This just confirms to me that I've made the right choice in switching schools. A decision I was very nervous about. I've forwarded some copies of our weekly newsletters from the Director (aka: Principal) to my family. But I wanted to share on my blog, too. Hopefully things will keep going good at school and my gratitude goes out to ALA. :)
Sunday, October 4, 2009
ALA
Posted by Jody at 7:11 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm glad you are having positive things happen for your kids in school. We had a new charter school open up in our district also and felt that I shouldn't change my kids over yet and now I wish I had anyway.
Just catching up on your blog, it sounds like the school is fabulous. I wish we had something like that here, our school is going down the tubes!
Glad to hear all the positive things, we love it too!
Post a Comment