Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Rain and cold.

You know, I'm sitting at my computer right now with the desk lamp on, listening to the rain and wind outside. I almost never have the lamps on during the day.......the windows provide more than enough light. I almost never listen to rain drops off my roof splashing onto the concrete......we get rain very rarely. I almost never have to force my kids to wear shoes and socks when they go out........it's not needed most of the time. And I almost never look out a window to see a dark, cloudy sky.......I live in the Valley of the Sun.

Funny thing is, I grew up with this weather just as often as we get the sun down here. And as much as I like it being cold, the chance for me and my kids to pull out sweaters and coats, feeling the cold temps during the proper seasons.......I still miss the sun. Don't get me wrong, I really do like the colder weather. It feels good after all the heat for so long. But the rain is a different story. We need it down here as much as possible, but when it goes on for more than a day, I start to get Pacific-Northwest anxious. I start to remember the endless dark days.....getting up early for school in the dark and coming home in the dark. The days I wished I could take a walk or go to a park, but it was too wet. When I would have loved to roll down my windows in the car, but it was raining. When seeing a gorgeous sunset was a rare opportunity, instead always looking at dark, dreary clouds. I dealt with rain and wetness for sooooooooo long.......I've had my fill, thank you. I miss the green of home, but not the rain.

So while I sit here, hearing the rain, seeing dark clouds, I'm thankful for the moisture because the desert needs it. But bring back my sun soon.........it's time.

2 comments:

Rogers said...

It is snowing in st.George today. It hardly ever snows here. the kids have a snow day tomorrow! We are loving it! I love the different seasons. Since you live in Az. I am sure the sun will come out tomorrow...

Beth said...

I really feel bad for you...wanna trade your rain for my 20 degree or less weather all week long? Enjoy the weather while it lasts. In August you'll be wanting it.