Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th!


Hope everyone has a great day! What are we doing? Well.........


translation of July 4th here in the valley:


fireworks: illegal (we'll set off yet another fire)

picnics/bbqs: too flippin' hot.....would you like to stand over the grill in 109 degree heat?

camping/lakes: sure.....along with the other 350,963 others who are there, too.

public firework shows: OK....but plan on waiting in line for parking for 3 hours going there and back (oh, and it's still hot when the sun goes down)


So.........what do ya do? Well, our neighbors graciously invited us over to swim and eat. So we'll be there tonight. The kids want to know why we're not going to see any fireworks and we told them, "You want to sit in the semi-warm car until they start, then get really hot outside to watch them?" They agreed that they'd much rather swim. But I'll be remembering our fun days at Fort Vancouver and all the COOL bbqs we had in the Pacific Northwest when I was little. It's the only thing that makes this day tolerable for me. So for all of you who are in temps under 95, can do sparklers with your kids in the street, have some yummy treats for your picnics and see awesome firework displays..............bless us down here so we can feel some of your excitement....... Oh, and HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!

1 comments:

Dave & Chels said...

Yeah, I wouldn't want to be outside in AZ for more than ten minutes, either. We are just biding our time until we have a house (somewhere) and can have awesome parties at home. With a yard. And a BBQ, outside, so I'm not the one cooking. A pool would be nice, too. I degress.
We are heading over to a friend's house tonight to have a bbq. Don't know about watching fireworks because 9:30(the time it gets dark) and our child don't mix well.
I miss the Fort, too. Such good times. And not so friggen hot, either.
I am all for visiting you in August...we will see how our "funds" (or lack of them, I should say) are doing by then.