Well, I've been trying to start some kind of exercise plan for a while (oh.....like maybe, a couple of years or so?) But no matter what I think of, there's always some reason why I can't do it:
*walking/running through the neighborhood with friends-can never find someone who can go at the same time, can't do it by myself, bad about being consistent, too cold or too hot outside, have never been a fan of running.....
*do something at home/video-hard finding time to do it without kids bugging me (I have early risers), too easy to sleep in, no motivation, have never been a fan of aerobics
*Joining a community dance class-can't find a class that suits me, hard to coordinate a time to go, very limited class times, nervous about dancing again in front of others after 14 years, have a feeling that after a short time one class wouldn't be enough, want to do more, but no time, then I get depressed because of my love for dance, get mad, decide never to do it again, then get scared because I never want to hate dancing, yadda, yadda, yadda........
*diets/weight loss programs-I HATE DIETING! (and I know they don't work) Besides, I never really want to completely change the way I eat. And eating organic, masses of fruits & veggies, whole grain, all natural foods is expensive, time consuming and would require a lot of changes for not only me, but my kids and husband, too, that I'm not sure would ever go over well with them. (I know I'm gonna get a lot of arguments with this, but every family has their own eating habits and doing this would really turn my family upside down, not that they eat horribly, but, well.......later....)
I could go on, but needless to say, I know it was always some subconscious thing that made up excuses for myself not to get back in shape and lose weight. Although......there was always one thing that I loved and did a lot in college. I always worked out at the gym. It was a required class for my major and we had to log in a certain amount of hours every week to pass the class. Plus, it was very stressed by all my dance instructors as a major part of dancing. We couldn't participate in certain group recitals or pass our dance requirements without being really in shape. Working out at the gym & weight lifting did this.
Well, fast forward 14 years with a family of 5 kids and husband. And a house mortgage....and 2 cars.....and huge grocery bills......and more and more and more bills. Will and I had always talked about joining a gym, but couldn't afford it. Plus, we want to be able to spend enough time for the monthly gym bill to really pay off. So......with my cousin's help (thanks Jill!), we found a good enough deal to join a local gym. And I LOVE it! We've been going early in the morning and it feels really good to start off the day like that. I'm doing cardio stuff, plus weights. And let me say, I'm pretty sore in some unmentionable places, but places that need major fat loss and muscle toning! And even though it's been a while since I've been in a gym, it's starting to slowly come back to me.......the steady higher heart rate, the good burning of the lungs, the sweat pouring down your face, the tired feeling after a good workout (not lazy tired, but the "I-burned-some-calories-and-toned-some-muscles" tired!) The other realizations, unfortunately, are also coming like I'm not a young 20 year old anymore and my body is changing! I can't do some simple things that were so easy when I was younger. It sucks getting old! But for me, that's more of a motivator to keep going.
So....we'll see how this goes. I would love to be able to go up and down my stairs without getting out of breath, and being able to take a bike ride with my kids without getting exhausted and being able to jump on the trampoline with the kids for longer than 5 minutes! My plan at first was to workout 3-4 days a week at first, but Jill had a good point. If I'm going to spend a certain amount of money a month for a gym membership, get your money's worth. So we go every day....and it's been worth it. Will has been going in the evenings and he's loving it too. It's my goal to get back in shape and lose some weight this year, the weight as my brother says, "my spouse was not sealed to". :o) Wish me luck!
Friday, January 18, 2008
I'm sore, but it's worth it!
Posted by Jody at 7:52 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Thats AWESOME Jody! I wish I lived closer and I would go with you guys in the morning! ; ) It's amazing how good a hard workout can make you feel! ; ) Keep it up!
rock on sister! that is so rad! i'm proud of you. i know how hard it is to be consistant. good luck!
Hey Jodi! It's good to hear from you. Last time I saw you I was rolling down your mom's stairs (I can't say she didn't warn me those stairs were steep). Haha. But I wanted to let you know that when I told Chels that I liked the name Eli, she told me that you had a son named Eli. So I checked out your blog and when I saw how adorable your little guy is I knew I had to use it. The best part is, I may have gotten it from you to begin with. I have no idea why I thought of it, or how, but I have surfed through Chelsea's blog contacts before and probably saw that name on your page. So, thanks for the great name. :o)
PS - I love the road trip diary below. Too funny. Looks like fun.
I enjoyed reading that about you! I know what you mean about the "too hot or too cold" to workout outdoors. I really do it because I have to get some form of exercise...If there was a gym closer I would be there. Okay... so I was pleasently surprised to hear that you love to dance...I never knew that!FUN.I'm thnking about getting a membership at the LA fitness...it's just I would have to get up super early cause it's like 15-20 away....and then I would have to leave quickly to get back to my kids. So It's not so great...I could see me saying"oh darn, I slept in...I can't get going now...I'll have to be back home 20min after I get there"But We'll see...The gym that is being bult won't be here till 2009.
WOO HOO!!!!!! Nice job! Way to get back into it. The worst pain goes away after about 3 weeks, so don't give up! It's completely worth it.
Who knows...you may be running a 5K with Nell and I before you know it!
Post a Comment